Well, everyone, we made it. After deciding to ride out the storm in Houston because we'd been instructed by local authorities to stay put, and based on the predictions for what we'd face in our area, I felt ok about being there. We ended up going over to some friends' house to spend the night so that I wouldn't be by myself if something went wrong. I've got pretty much a whole wall of large windows and a parking lot that gets standing water in a normal rainstorm so hurricane force winds plus a whole lot of water and me by myself with two babies didn't seem like such a good plan. However, sheltering at our friends' house solved both problems for the most part and didn't require me to drive to College Station, which is an hour and a half drive when the road isn't full of people fleeing imminent catastrophe. At any rate, it was one of the most stressful nights of my life. It sounded like it would if you layed your head next to a freight train as it thundered past. Go figure, though. We took down the boards in the morning and noticed that the air conditioning unit that was just outside the window of the room we were sleeping in had been moved about 2 feet over and knocked on it's side. So, all in all, an intense night. I have a new, healthy respect for nature and will forever more do as much as it takes to make sure we're never in that position again. My parents came up and got us so we could drive back to College Station together, so we're here until the power comes back on at home. They said it could be up to two weeks but there are places fairily close to ours that are starting to come back online, so we'll see. Tonight I'm grateful to be safe, to have a warm bed in a cool house, and that my kids are ok. I seriously feel like all heck has broken loose since Tom left. I hope that we're through the worst of it. I'm exhausted, although that may have more to do with a very intense last couple of days sandwiching one of the most frightening nights of my life. If you ever find yourself in the direct path of a hurricane, get out. You'll be glad you did.
Greens of Resistance
4 days ago
5 comments:
Glad you are okay. We were thinking about you.
I'm so glad you and the boys are okay -- I was really worried about you being there by yourself. Thanks for keeping us posted!
I was watching news clips on Weather.com about Ike and was hoping you hadn't lost power (I heard that some 2.6 MILLION people did) ... but alas, you were one of the many victims. At least that was the worst of it for now, and that you're all safe, eh? We love you!
I am so glad y'all are okay. And what a blessing that y'all hadn't moved to Beaumont yet! Are you reconsidering yet?
Seriously, you must have an even more amazing life ahead because Heavenly Father is giving you all of these interesting experiences while Tom is away to prepare you for something... hello future general RS pres:). You're amazing and I am so glad you guys are safe and that you're holding everything together so well!
Post a Comment