Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Big 04!

I love doing birthday cakes for my kids. There's something about that *Gasp!* "That's for me?!?!" face that speaks straight to my soul. Logan had been drawing pictures for me that showed what he wanted his birthday cake to look like - which was essentially a circle with a car on it. "No, Mama. I don't want the cake to be a car, I want a circle cake with a car on it!"

Gotcha, kid.
**Warning: Not for the food coloring intolerant. **
**However, I figure birthdays come but once a year.**
I decided that since we were doing a circle cake and all, I wanted to do something that was still wow. I found the idea for a rainbow cake online, and this is how it went! (I can't figure out why this first picture is loading like this. It's landscape on my computer, landscape on the thumbnail, and portrait after uploading. Sorry for making you turn your neck!)
I discovered after mixing up all the cake batters (two white cake mixes and 32oz 7-up - that's it!) that somehow, my 9" rounds have disappeared so I had to make do with a couple of 9" squares. I'm just glad I had two! The birthday boy didn't seem to notice.
Just by way of information, in case anyone decides to give this a shot in the future, I divided the cake mix by 1.5 cups into 6 bowls. Since I was doing rainbow I started with red in one pan and then went from the opposite end in the other. Whatever your first color is in the pan, use about 2/3 of your color. I then used a 1 c measure to scoop the colors in concentric-ish circles. Swirling won't make it more psychedellic.
How many muppets had to die?!

For the racecar on top, I knew there was no way I'd be able to freehand a decent one in icing. So, I printed off a simple picture of one, laid some wax paper over it and traced it in candy melts. $0.99 condiment bottles work great for this. Start with your outline, let it harden, fill in any details, let those harden, and then do your overall color.


Awesome.

9 comments:

Adam and Cassie Pierson said...

Awesome is right. Good for you! What an awesome looking cake. Ej hvor er du dygtig.... :)

Kristen said...

Wow Kellie, that is so great! What kind of food coloring did you use to get those bright colors? Thanks for the tip on how to do the car/stencil thing. Great idea! What lucky kiddos.

Kellie said...

Thanks, guys! Kristen - I used the Wilton food pigment available at places like Hobby Lobby/Michaels. I just got the box with 10 different colors in it. They last forever.

Elise said...

Ooh! I am luvin' the inside of that cake! Good job, Kellie!

thepainterfamily said...

Oh. my. gosh! I just love that birthday cake...it is so AWESOME! I'm so impressed with all the creativity and free-hand art work!

I agree with everything you said about kids birthdays! We never end up buying expensive gifts, but we sure do love to find other ways to make the day special! I hope my kids will ALWAYS get excited over birthday treats!

ps
Logan's expressions are just priceless!

Alisha said...

Love it--so cute and creative! What a great mommy you are.

Bethany said...

Well, I now know what I'll be doing for future cakes!

Clara said...

All I can say is "WOW!!!"

Lauren said...

Sweet Cake!!!!!